College Timeline

{1832}University of Alabama opens
{1837}Engineering courses added to curriculum
{1845}John Frederick Steele likely first UA engineering graduate
{1871}Civil engineering degree offered
{1875}A 25-year veteran of railroad engineering, Horace Harding becomes first professional engineer to teach at UA
{1881}William Vaughn organizes School of Engineering; enrollment takes off
{1882}To meet student demand, Robert A. Hardaway was hired to teach engineering full time
{1887}Mining engineering established
{1903}Edgar Kay becomes chair of civil engineering
{1907}Courses in mechanical engineering and electrical engineering established
{1907}Enrollment tops 100
{1909}College of Engineering established; Kay named dean
{1910}B.B. Comer Hall, home to engineering, opens
{1912}Chemical engineering established, led by chemistry professor Stewart Lloyd
{1912}George Davis named dean and head of civil engineering; John Gallalee tapped to head mechanical engineering; Shaler Houser picked to teach civil engineering
{1912}Degree in highway engineering established; later dropped
{1919}Enrollment eclipses more than 200
{1920}U.S. Bureau of Mines station set up (the first research station at UA)
{1922}First master's degrees awarded
{1923}James Cudworth becomes instructor in mining engineering
{1925}Student Robert Jemison Van de Graaff named Rhodes Scholar
{1926}The UA chapter of Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society, established
{1927}Student Robert G. Baugh Jr. named Rhodes Scholar
{1928}Enrollment tops 300
{1929}Aeronautical engineering established
{1931}Metallurgical engineering established
{1932}Enrollment tops 700
{1936}Bureau of Mines building and Hardaway Hall open
{1937}Industrial engineering established
{1937}The Engineers' Council for Professional Development accredited six of the College's eight programs, ranking the College in the top 12 percent of schools in the country for accredited programs
{1939}Aeronautical engineering student Rose Rabinovitz is first female graduate of the College
{1940}The entire industrial engineering program offered at UA's Birmingham extension, the only UA program fully available off campus
{1940}The College beefs up its civilian flight-instruction program to train pilots and ground crew for the war effort
{1941}UA's Engineering, Science and Management Defense Training program helps train thousands of workers to fill technical positions left by departing soldiers.
{1943}Enrollment tops 1,000
{1943 - 1944}College faculty teach engineering to more than 1,000 soldiers through the Army Specialized Training Program
{1946}Enrollment tops 2,000
{1947}ME department head John Gallalee named UA president; Cudworth named dean
{1949}Mining engineering opens a foundry and gets accreditation
{1950}Houser Hall opens
{1950}Chemical engineering receives accreditation, bringing the whole College to national certification
{1952}Graduate engineering courses taught at UA's Huntsville extension
{1962}H.M. Comer Hall, or the Mineral Industries Building, opened
{1962}PhD programs in electrical, chemical, mechanical and engineering mechanics were offered
{1962}Sponsored research awards totaled more than $100,000
{1963}After several years of struggles, the College's programs are fully re-accredited
{1964}First PhDs awarded
{1964}Course "Introduction to Digital Computations" added to curriculum
{1965}Sponsored research totaled more than $1 million
{1967}W. Edward Lear, a UA graduate at the National Science Foundation, named dean
{1969}New undergraduate curriculum introduced to reduce engineering specialty training while increasing courses in general science and math along with humanities and social science
{1971}NASA lends the College its first computer, an RCA 110-A, and the department of computer science and operations established
{1972}The Capstone Engineering Society, the College's alumni group, was created
{1979}Dr. Howard Hartman appointed to the College's first endowed chair
{1982}Robert Barfield named dean
{1984}Sponsored research totaled more than $2 million
{1987}College celebrates 150th anniversary, begins Distinguished Engineering Fellows
{1987}Minority engineering program established.
{1988}Center for Materials for Information Technology established
{1990}The Rodgers Science Library opens
{1990}The Tom Bevill Energy, Mineral and Material Science Research Building opens
{1996}Raymond W. Flummerfelt named dean
{1998}University Transportation Center established
{1998}The Center for Advanced Vehicle Technology began
{1999}Timothy Greene appointed dean
{2001}Sponsored research totaled more than $15 million
{2001}UA Engineering alum Col. Jim Kelley piloted the Space Shuttle Discovery
{2003}Engineering student Rob Davis named UA's first Portz Scholar
{2004}Shelby Hall, home to some college labs, offices and classrooms, opens
{2004}The Aging Infrastructure Systems Center of Excellence began
{2005}Charles Karr appointed dean
{2006}Construction engineering added to the curriculum
{2006}Alabama Industrial Assessment Center selected a regional center by U.S. Department of Energy
{2009}Trustees designate the Center for Advanced Public Safety as a research center
{2009}Graduate enrollment tops 300
{2009}The Science and Engineering Complex opens
{2010}Sponsored research totaled more than $20 million
{2010}Enrollment tops 3,000
{2012}The South Engineering Research Center opens, the first building solely for engineering since H.M. Comer opened
{2012}Engineering student Ryan Flamerich named Truman Scholar, the College's first
{2013}The $250 million Science and Engineering Quad completed with opening of the fourth phase